Sunday, October 12, 2008

Thanksgiving

Prior to 2004, the month of October was always a festive time of the year. I looked forward to it even more than Christmas. Even though my Dad had passed away in 1992 on Thanksgiving weekend, our family made it a point to continue our tradition of family, turkey, pumpkin pie and togetherness. Dad enjoyed Thanksgiving as equally well as Kelly-Anne did. They both enjoyed the aroma of the turkey roasting in the oven and the tradition of all the family sitting at the table together to enjoy the feast. We looked forward to the celebration of birthdays, mine and Kim also in October. I loved taking walks and crunching leaves under my feet as we breathed the fresh autumn air. The girls looked forward to Halloween....decorating the house, trick or treating and overdosing on candy.

Ironically, Kelly-Anne was buried on Thanksgiving Monday. October no longer has the same meaning. It's different. Nothing is the same. The leaves symbolize the changing of the seasons...that winter is around the corner. My birthday doesn't mean much more now than another year older. Preparing Thanksgiving turkey is another chore which this year I choose not to partake in.

Jules and I will head up to Morrisburg , Ontario tomorrow and have turkey dinner at Upper Canada Village. Right now I need to escape my world and go back to a time where life was basic and people were happy and not so demanding of themselves or others.

As for what I am thankful for this weekend , well that really is important to me. I am thankful to have a precious daughter Kim, a wonderful and loving husband Jules, a home over my head, my health and capability to earn a living, true blue friends, my dear four -footed friends and mostly thankful that God gave me a precious Kelly-Anne for 24 years.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: