Monday, November 23, 2009

Blessings in Disguise

I learnt last week that the distribution centre where I worked and was laid off from will close its doors his coming February. Actually, it will close exactly one year to the date of when I was let go. Now, 150 people including the managers that gave me the news that my job was abolished will be out of a job. Sadly there are many couples that work in that building which means that both will be out of work. When I heard the news I was not at all surprised as the writing was on the wall for the past few years. I thought how interesting that I was spared from this ordeal of a closure.

This past February I was saddened of course to loose my job, but my rough patch is now over. I know exactly how these workers are feeling and they will have to face allot in the upcoming new year.

Why was I spared the stress of having to go thought his with everyone else? I feel that I was one of the chosen few.......that maybe God chose me to leave first and make my way on my own....and yes on my own. These employees leaving in February will receive support and help. I got practically zilch from the company with exception of two half days with a firm who helped make a worthless c.v. Maybe it's the strong ones that are forced to go on their own and make their own way. At least this Christmas will not be dismal for me as it will be for those who know that they face the new year without employment.

God never told us that life would be easy. Many have crosses to bear and I surely carry mine every day of my life. Learning to adapt and take control of difficult situations such as job losses is not an easy thing to do...it's a matter of survival and at the end of the day we are all on our own, finding our own way.

I thank God and Kelly-Anne that now two months into my job, I am happy learning new things in a positive environment with wonderful people surrounding me. I can leave the past behind and move forward as today would have been my completion of 28 years of service. I am smiling today as I have a sense of peace in my heart as today is the first day of my new life. As Kelly-Anne once said " just put one foot in front of the other and walk", and that is what I have been doing each day for the past two months, on my new life's journey.

No comments: