Tuesday, March 9, 2010

More Crimes

This past week we heard that a 24 year old man was stabbed and killed by a 16 year old in the St. Henri district of Montreal. Many people said that it's a bad neighbourhood and were not surprised that such a crime happened.

I personally do not know the area but as far as I am concerned crimes happen everywhere. My bigger issue in all this is that again we see knives been used as the lethal weapon and that a 16 year old is the suspect.

A couple of years ago I did a CTV National interview regarding knives. Statistics shown then, that more murders were being committed with knives than with guns. Everyone has a knife in their home, but most people use them for it rightful purpose and not as a weapon. A knife registry is not the solution...the solution is getting 16 year old kids away from bars and involved in sports and community activities. A 16 year old should be at home in bed at 3:00 a.m. This is only my opinion and many may have other opinions, but I am a mom and I never had these issues with the girls at that age. I always knew where they were and who they were with. I can also remember staying up late and waiting for telephone calls from Kell & Kim to be picked up from a house party......but never at 3:00 a.m.

Another family will grieve and and other family will see their son go to jail and probably be sentenced as a adult. His life will be grim...but I ask who is to blame for this crime?

We also saw this week, which just set me fuming, the death of a three month old baby who was neglected from her parents. The young couple who spend their days and nights at a video arcade playing a game with a virtual baby. The media says that they were addicted...what the hell is going on ? The baby was fed once a day and she starved to death...no wait, I call it a slow and painful murder. I hope this couple never see the light of day again. I am angry, but remember this baby had no voice and no one to defend her.

I find it worrisome that we are not getting better at being parents. Babies are still having babies and parents are raising babies in dysfunctional homes and the end results are at times dreadful.

I hope this spring and summer brings less crime to our streets and less heartbreaking stories.
Families need to be more supportive of each other especially when new babies are being born into the families and parents need to be more assertive with 16 years olds.

What's your take on all of this?

No comments: