Wednesday, May 25, 2011

We have the Power

With great intensity and anticipation I watched the finale of the Oprah Winfrey show. The past three days have been of mixed emotions. Oprah spoke eloquently today which I do not think for a moment anyone in her audience or in their homes moved their eyes away from Oprah. I sat there in front of the t.v. listening and digesting every word. And again, Oprah continued to empowered me, she continued to remind me that each and everyone of us has a reason for being on this earth. Her message today was what I needed to hear again. I needed to be reinforced to continue to forge forward. I needed to be reminded that we must validate each other. I also cried as I remembered that at my last job,I would validate my boss but she would never validate me.I think of that as pure ignorance, since in all my other jobs,my bosses would praise me, but this one wouldn't. This past job as bad of an experience as it was, needed to happen as it allowed to me come to the realization that my calling is to be involved with people. I need to empower and make a difference in someone's life.

I was also reminded today that what goes around comes around. I recall a day a couple of months ago when I heard a women speak to someone unknown to her over the phone. She diminished an employee because she was an immigrant and not a Quebecer. She also complained about the numerous amount of blacks living in her neighbourhood. I was appalled at her unethical behavior and I know she saw the reaction on my face.

Oprah has taught us for 25 years that we need to be tolerant of others. Weather in the USA or Canada, we are melting pots and we should embrace that. Sadly,there are still people in our communities that just don't get it.

I had a telephone call this past weekend from a women who I had hired many years ago. She told me how grateful she was that I had given her a job and that I would never know just how much it meant to her. She recounted to me that when I hired her, she was going through a tough time and needed to save her home. I gave her a job unknowing of her plight. I made a difference in this women's life. I was touched at her recounting this to me so many years later. My point in writing about this is not to pat myself on the shoulder. It is only to explain that we are all important to someone and that acts of kindness and validation can have different meanings to so many different people. Kelly-Anne constantly validated people. Whether it was her family, her friends or the man that murdered her, she always had something kind to say. As my mother would often say, "if you can't say something nice to someone, don't say anything at all."

Today I also swam where Kelly-Anne's conference room overlooks the pool. The peacefulness coupled with the serenity of the water continues to give me solace. Again, my mind is clear and my thoughts are powerful as I swim non stop. My daughter is nearby in that pool as I feel her spirit.

I am determined as ever to continue my soul searching for where I really need to be...the place where I am suppose to be. I will not take a job because it's a job...it has to be the right thing as I need to be doing what I am meant to be doing. Right now, I feel my place is at home. I feel this is where I need to be. It may sound so "domesticated" to say this, but I am loving cleaning, cooking, baking and just being home. Cooking is one of my passions. If only you could see the faces of Jules and Kim when I give they something new and interesting to taste.

I know that the right thing will happen for me.I know I will eventually work where I am meant to be and I know I will have many more opportunities to be empowered, to empower others and to make a difference.

As Oprah said, we need to live out our passions whatever they may be. One does not have to always work for money as many who volunteer are giving back to the community.We each have a gift and I believe we should not shelter that gift but give it to others.

Oprah gave everyone one of her viewers a gift....a gift of knowledge,understanding, acceptance and tolerance. Why can't we do the same.

No comments: